|Mailing/Discussion lists in Xeams
|12/14/15 4:35 PM
|Last modified on:
|1/3/19 2:21 PM
What is a mailing list
A mailing list is a collection of names and addresses used by an individual or an organization to send material to multiple recipients. The term is often extended to include the people subscribed to such a list, so the group of subscribers is referred to as "the mailing list
", or simply "the list".
Typically, there are two types of mailing lists:
- Announcement lists - Companies use this list to send messages to multiple recipients regarding an announcement
- Discussion lists - Allows members to post their own items which are broadcast to all of the other mailing list members
We do NOT
recommend using the mailing list feature in Xeams for the announcement lists
. This feature is only designed for discussion lists
to allow subscribers to discuss topics.Consider the following scenario:
You run a non-profit organization and want to create a list of volunteers who can exchange email messages among themselves. By creating a mailing list you can enable these volunteers to discuss matters among themselves.
Creating a mailing list
Follow the steps below to create a mailing list
- Log in to Admin Console
- Click Manage Mailing Lists under the Server Configuration menu
- Click the Add New List to add a new list
Subscribing to a mailing list
There are two ways to subscribe:
- The Xeams Administrator can add an email address manually
- Users can subscribe themselves
Follow the steps below to add subscribers.
- Log in to the Admin Console as administrator
- Select Manage Mailing List under the Server Configuration menu
- Click the Edit link next to the mailing list name
- Type the subscriber's email address in Add another subscriber field
- Click save. The newly added subscriber will appear below
Allowing users to add/remove themselves
Users on the Internet can subscribe/unsubscribe themselves by sending emails to special addresses. To enable this feature, check the Allow users to subscribe
check box. Refer to the image below:
Once this option is enabled, users can send an email to:
- subscribe-MailListName@YourCompany.com to subscribe
- unsubscribe-MailListName@YourCompany.com to unsubscribe
For example, if you create a mailing list using volunteers@helpingHands.org
, users can subscribe by sending a message to subscribe-volunteers@HelpingHands.org
and remove themselves by sending a message to unsubscribe-volunteers@HelpingHands.org
. This example assumes that HelpingHands.org
is a local domain that is handled by Xeams.
Add a comment to this document
Do you have a helpful tip related to this document that you'd like to share
with other users?
This area is reserved for useful tips. Therefore, do not post questions here. Instead, use our public forums
to post questions.